Wednesday 1 May 2013

Lesson #2

We had our second visual comms lesson.

Mr Seow taught us about using negative space for our logo design for our CA. I feel that using negative space is really cool as another picture can be formed if we're creative enough! For example:


Image cr: http://www.graphic-design.com/design-bookshelf/negative_space/negative_space_h.png

We also learnt about using our pencils as "measuring sticks" to measure the proportion of what we will be drawing! There is also a "draw with pencil and thumb" method and using our pencils to find angles. I think its a really useful way of drawing in proportion to whatever we will be drawing as it is accurate but I can't really get how I go about using it and I will have to improve.

We practised this exercise first on drawing a dog.


This is the bigger picture of the dog I drew.

I find that using the pencil as a measuring stick is a little difficult to learn how to use and I got a little distressed but it was great nonetheless. (Although the turnout wasn't that good -note the dog above)

We then had to pair up and had to do a sketch of our classmate using the pencil as measuring stick and we had to sketch them proportionately! I paired with Jia-chi and this is my sketch of her:

Didn't really do a good job I'm sorry
We then learnt about textures which are "surface" designs which support the illusion of real substances or present invented composites. Then we had to do up 3 textures, one representing ourselves, another from our surroundings and the third futuristic or modern texture.

Texture that represents me
 This is the texture that represents me. I drew laughing faces with small eyes because I like to laugh and I'm asian (STEREOTYPE).

Texture in my surroundings
 This is the texture of my surroundings. Its supposed to be the apple logo but it doesnt look like it. Everyone's using Macbooks thus I drew this.

Futuristic/ modern texture
This is a futuristic texture. I drew samsung as I believe samsung everyone will use samsung in the future.

The next activity was to draw in proportion what we saw at the designated places we had to go. I stayed at the bridge and drew what I saw, trying my best to use the pencil as a measuring stick.

This is the bridge.

And this is my drawing of the bridge. I tried my best.

No comments:

Post a Comment